Saturday, December 10, 2005

Lady driven...to where?


I bought my car, a VW Golf, 3 years ago. The market for used cars hasn't changed much since then. You still see the same German and Japanese cars up for sale, newer models, different specs. What I have noticed, however, is a larger incidence of classifieds specifying the car as being 'lady driven'. It's a curious thing actually when you think about it. What's the hidden message behind such a statement? Lady driven?

Is it that a 'lady' drives the way a lady should ergo she has followed all rules of the road, never had an accident or done burn-outs on the back streets of Dubai? Which therefore implies the car must be in good condition? Does it automatically mean you can charge a premium for the car? Is it not clustering all women (or should I say ladies) as sensible drivers and men as insensible ones? Is the term sexist at all? I'm pobably being a little overanalytical here. In the end it's just some bloke's smart way of pre-selling the car to a wary customer who probably lets his guard down the second he reads the car's been 'lady driven'.

I'm never selling my car; not if I can help it - it's my baby. But how curious would it be if the classified read:

VW Golf, 2.0 2001 model, white, fully automatic, 100,000kms in VGC, Dhs 35,000, never driven by a lady / call 050-xxx xxxx.

As far as selling is concerned, it probably would fail abysmally. But it would be one hell of an interesting social experiment, don't you think? Hold on...my phone's ringing.

No comments: